Monday, January 19, 2009

1/19/08 – Positive Public Pressure

“Zen Habit #14: Positive public pressure is a huge motivator. Tell as many people as possible about a goal or habit change.” –Leo Babauta

I stumbled on this idea on an interesting blog http://zenhabits.net/. A friend recommended it to me and I haven’t spent a lot of time exploring the site but I do follow the blogger, Leo Babauta, on Twitter.

I am intrigued by the idea of positive public pressure. When trying to achieve a goal we often exhaust many forms of motivation. We will buy new running shoes in hopes of running more often but that may only motivate you to go on a few more runs. You may buy a ton of health food in order to start eating better but that might only last until your next shopping trip. But I have found that positive public pressure is an amazing motivator.

If you read PositivelyAnna regularly you know that I am on a sweet fast. No sweets for 6 weeks. This has been extremely difficult for me, but when I start drooling over my roommates Oreos I think about posting my next Sweet Fast 2009 Update and I know I would feel guilty about having to report I cheated or I am giving up. So thanks to all of you for keeping me sweet free!

Another great example is my friend Kate, who you will see mentioned in the “For a Good Cause” section to the right. She is racing in a half-marathon to help support research on Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease. Forcing yourself to train in the dead of winter would be trying for anyone but she is motivated by all the support and donations she has received. Not wanting to let people down has gotten her running even in the worst weather.

So if you are trying to lose weight, gossip less, save money or reach any other goal, tell some friends and family. They will help keep you honest and on track.

Today’s song is Queen’s Find Me Somebody To Love. Random I know, but I like it.

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed many changes in your blog and they are like improvements for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...