Monday, April 6, 2009

A Little Surprise

I’ve mentioned my bagel guy knows my order: a cinnamon raisin bagel, toasted with plain cream cheese. I go to the local bagel place a few more times a week than I should to get my favorite breakfast. The other day I went in for my bagel and when I got to the front of the line, the bagel guy reported, apologetically, that they were all out of cinnamon raisin bagels. I frowned and said, “Oh, okay,” but what I was thinking was “WTF dude!” I admitted defeat and begrudgingly ordered a sesame bagel with scallion cream cheese. When I got back to my desk I was surprised to see that under the tinfoil wrapping was a cinnamon raisin bagel, toasted with plain cream cheese! I felt a little bit like Charlie when he found the golden ticket!

The next day, when I found myself back at the bagel place, I had forgotten about yesterday’s surprise. Before I was all the way in the door, the bagel guy threw up his arms and shouted, “Did you like my surprise?! I got you good!” The whole thing was even sweeter because he speaks in broken English.

So it is all about the little things. Getting the bagel I actually wanted made my morning and the bagel guy clearly got a kick out of planning the surprise. Plan a little surprise for someone you love, you will brighten their day and it will Positively brighten yours too.

Today's song is a repeat but it works so well for this post that I can't resist. Please enjoy India Arie's The Little Things.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love it. I laughed the second I read he spoke "broken english" I could picture the scene.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...