Friday, December 3, 2010

Go To Your Reunion

This past weekend was my 10 year high school reunion. Reunions are something you are technically supposed to dread, and I’ll admit, I wasn’t exactly looking forward to mine. I was a class officer in high school, which evidently means I’m a class officer for life. This time last year, my classmates started mentioning our 10 year reunion. Our fearless leader and class president, Curtis, took the lead and did an amazing job planning the event. I provided support where I could but he was really the mastermind behind the whole thing. I think the reason I wasn’t looking forward to the reunion was I was afraid people would not show up or would be critical of the event. But I was pleasantly surprised to find the exact opposite. About 70% of our class showed up and everyone had wonderful things to say. I had the best time! I can’t remember when I laughed that hard.

I haven’t done a great job at keeping in touch with people from high school. I went college out of state and then moved straight to New York,
so I lost touch with all but a small handful of friends. After the reunion I was kicking myself for this. I went to school with some really fabulous people! Some super hilarious, some very interesting, and some incredibly kind. I realize that everyone has changed some since high school, but my classmates have blossomed into awesome people that I would like to again call my friends. I watched guys who were tough as nails 10 years ago absolutely glow as they showed me pictures of their baby girls. And girls that were once painfully shy tell me jokes that made me laugh so hard I cried.

If you have a reunion coming up,
GO! It won’t be like Romy and Michelle’s. I know high school was not all rainbows and lollipops. But if you go to yours with a positive outlook, remembering the good times and people from high school, I can positively guarantee you'll have fun.

Song of the Day
Today's song is Dave Matthews Band's "Ants Marching."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...