Friday, July 31, 2009

101 Things in 1001 Days: # 54 Part 1

I am happy to report that I spent this past week completing #54 on my 101 Thing in 1001 Days list: Play a whole round of golf. I've been in Minnesota visiting Matt's family this past week and that trip is the one opportunity we get each year to go golfing so I made sure to take advantage.

When I had written my 101 List, I was thinking that a "whole round" meant 9 holes. When I was ready to quit after 9, Matt informed me that technically a whole round is 18 holes. I panicked for a minute and then said "My list, my rules". Crisis averted! Now you might not think that that counts as a crisis situation, but it was. You might not think that playing 18 holes of golf is that big a deal but it is if this is the very first time you have played (I've never even been to a driving range) and you are whiffing so many times that you have taken enough swings to equal 250 holes of golf. By the end of 9 holes my hands were starting to blister and my back ached but I was beyond happy with my accomplishments. I was more than content to drive the golf cart and cheer on Matt, his dad and his brother as they played a much speedier back 9.

I really enjoyed golfing, so much so I went back for another 9 a few days later. Matt and his father were beyond helpful. They both gave me the perfect amount of advice...some because it was clear I had NO idea what I was doing but not too much because it was also clear that I was getting frustrated and not acting like an idiot on purpose. Step closer to the ball, aim your feet, don't bend your wrists: All very helpful advice. Funny enough, no one needed to tell me to keep my eye on the ball. I looked at each ball like it was the last piece of food on earth or, after I had whiffed 4 times, like it had insulted my mother.

I have plenty more to say about my golfing adventures but that is enough for now.

Song of the Day
Matt made a great mix for the vacation called Yesterday Envy, a bunch of older tunes that the whole gang was guaranteed to like. One on my favorites from that mix is The Swimming Song from Loundon Wainwright III.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...