Monday, June 13, 2011

Don't Wait for Perfection

As I've developed this blog, I've done a lot of research on best practices and how to improve. One message I've found over and over is not to wait for perfection.  Mark Victor Hansen, inspirational speaker and creator of Chicken Soup for the Soul, wrote:
Don't wait until everything is just right.  It will never be perfect.  There will always be challenges, obstacles, and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident, and more and more successful.

I try to remember this, especially when I don't feel confident about putting my thoughts out into the world, but I'll admit, I still often find myself waiting. However, I recently read something that opened my eyes to the power of just going for it.



The New York Times published an article on online design magazines, focusing mostly on Lonny, currently the leader in the category.  The editor in chief of Lonny is Michelle Adams, previously of Domino. What is amazing about Adams is that she is only in her late 20's, and what is even more amazing is that she was only an editorial assistant before she became head honcho.  

When Domino folded three years ago, there was an obvious hole left in the shelter magazine world, and recently digital magazines have emerged as a legit publishing medium.  I imagine Adams was very aware of these two factors and jumped at the opportunity. What I find so inspiring about her is that she didn't wait to gain the experience that is needed to produce a magazine...she saw the chance and she jumped at it.  

Kate Simpson, Adams' former boss at Domino said "I think she still has to learn a lot.  She went from an assistant to running her own magazine.  She skipped a lot of steps along the way." This is true but if Adams had waited to hit each step, it would have taken years and someone else would have filled that gap in the publishing world and would be finding the success that I'm sure Adams is enjoying now. 

Lonny inspires me with its beautiful design, but it also inspires me to have confidence in my words and ideas. And you should too.  You have a unique voice that is worth being heard, NOW.  

Song of the Day
Today's song is Ingrid Michaelson's Everybody.


2 comments:

  1. That is so true! I think there is no greater message a woman can hear than "Be you now." (I wrote a post about it on my own blog... after being inspired by nother blogger!) Waiting for life to come to you the greatest mistake any woman can make. I'm so glad that women like Michelle and the gals from Rue, Matchbook, and High Gloss are out there living their dreams and bloggers like yourself are picking theirs as well.

    Awesome post. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Anna. I agree with this philosophy whole heartedly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...