Monday, July 11, 2011

101 Things in 1001 Days: 11


At around 1902, my great great grandfather, built his family a vacation home on Chebeague Island, ME. I would like to think he also built the house for it to be enjoyed by generations to come. And for that I will always be grateful.

The house is named Khatmandu (my great great grandfather was a big Kipling fan), and just like my father and his father, growing up I enjoyed every summer there. It is unquestionably my favorite place in the world and I recently got to share it with some of my most favorite people, crossing #11: take more than four people to Maine, off my 101 List.

One of the best parts of spending time in Maine is enjoying the outdoors. Between the picnics, the sailing, and the hiking, you are seldom inside. Unfortunately, it was raining and cold almost our whole visit. I'll admit, Positively Anna was not feeling so positive. I was actually grumpy and frustrated that I wasn't getting to show my friends exactly the weekend I had planned. Luckily these friends of mine are troopers and even if there was a monsoon they would have managed to have a wonderful weekend.
My wonderful brothers join for the weekend, which made it all the more special.

Rain does make somethings look better
Chandler's Cove

Beachcombing with Inspector Gadget
When I was a little girl I used to collect these little yellow shells. They are still my favorite.

Maine, the only place it is cheaper to eat lobster than chicken

Becca enjoying the spa package...a relaxing lobster steam bath
I believe I'm shouting "I made fire" a la Tom Hanks, but it is hard to know for sure



And wouldn't you know it...as soon as we got on the ferry home, the sun came out! Oh well. Still an amazing trip.

Song of the Day
Please enjoy Van Morrison's Into the Mystic.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...