Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Some (not me) Like It Hot

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Today, like many of you, I’m enjoying some Mexican food. However, I don’t do spicy. I CAN’T do spicy. I don’t know if it's because I didn’t grow up eating spicy food or because I have extra sensitive taste buds. I might have been scared straight during a trip to Mexico when I was 9. My stepdad ate a small pepper from a bowl on the table at a restaurant. We all watched in horror as he turned from red to a sort of purplish color and then almost passed out as the wait staff ran around yelling and handing us salt, milk, tortillas and anything else to ease the atomic heat.

I’m a total wimp when it comes to spicy things. Even now I’m perspiring a little bit and my gums are burning from my Chipotle burrito bowl that has no sauces marked higher than “mild”. I have trouble with Bloody Marys and even ground pepper. Alas, I'll never host an international traveling/eating show. Every time Anthony Bordain dives into some unknown dish without asking if it's spicy, I'm amazed.

But I'm getting better. Though I’ll never be one of those people who puts hot sauce on everything, I’m slowly training my taste buds to handle a little spice. Matt literally hugged me when I bought medium salsa the other day. Poco a poco!

Song of the Day
Today's song is Buster Poindexter's Feeling Hot Hot Hot. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...