Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Jazz Age Lawn Party

For his birthday, my Gatsby-loving friend Shu-Ping wanted to go to the Jazz Age Lawn Party on Governors Island. And I'm so glad he did! It is one of the coolest things I've ever done in New York. My friends and I took a ton of pictures, and I'm very excited to share them with you.

We took the Governors Island Ferry over to the island.
Our very happy birthday boy
I'm coming to America!
The event spread across a large lawn.
Our tickets bought us entrance, a tasty lunch, and endless cocktails.
But the best part of the event was the costumes.
Oh the costumes!


Even the accessories were perfect.
The women were gorgeous...
The men were dapper...
And the children couldn't have been cuter.

The costumes were just amazing.

So amazing in fact that Bill Cunningham was there. He took my picture! Major NYC/Life List accomplishment.
I'm thinking of making a full time move to the 1920's
This was a perfect event for our gang.
We had a great time dressing up.
And being in character.

The event organizers did a wonderful job recreating the era.

There was a great band.

Lovely dancing.


Even a bathing suit contest.


(handle bar mustaches not required but encouraged)
There were many vendors selling period-appropriate wares.

Odd Twin, a vintage clothing store from Brooklyn, had a booth with an endless collection of beautiful, 1920's clothing and accessories.
The Jazz Age Picnic is held every year with one event in June and another in August.
We will all be back next year!

Happy Birthday Shu-Ping. You are the best!
For more pictures of the event, try here and here. And for ideas on how to through your own Gatsby-themed party, check out these helpful tips from one of my favorite blogs, Mighty Girl.

P.S. Thank you Nika, John, and Shups for your fab photos.

Song of the Day
Whitney Houston's I Want to Dance with Somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...