Wednesday, April 13, 2011

101 Things in 1001 Days: 17

Last week my friend Shu-Ping helped me cross #17 off my 101 List: Go to an opera.  I included the opera on my list as I have never seen one before.  I was curious about an art form that has entertained people for centuries and still continues to draw an enthusiastic audience.  I was not disappointed.

We saw Puccini's Tosca at the Metropolitan Opera.  The heroin, Tosca, is one tough broad.  The opera is the story of how she must kill to save the man she loves, Cavaradossi.  There is some miscommunication at the end and the lovers both die.  It was wonderfully romantic and tragic.  I was concerned that I wouldn't feel a connection to opera but after Cavaradossi proclaims his love for Tosca with his glorious and powerful voice, I was a goner.

Almost as awe-inspiring as the show is the Metropolitan Opera House.  What a beautiful and grand place.

Shu-Ping, thank you for a wonderful evening!

Song of the Day
Today's song is Whitney Houston's I Have Nothing.  It isn't a very positive song but I know it makes Shu-Ping happy.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, I'd like to see Tosca. We saw Carmen earlier this year, and that was my first opera as well. I wasn't sure if I'd like it or be able to follow the story, but it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...